[ncl-talk] discrepancy between greenland ncl map and output from CISM

Michele Petrini - CITG M.Petrini at tudelft.nl
Tue May 15 03:37:14 MDT 2018

Dear help desk,

I am trying to plot Greenland ice thickness from a CISM simulation. Everything works fine - except that it looks that the ice sheet is a little bit shifted to the right (see attached figure: the small brown ice patch in the North-East should be entirely on land, and that’s the same for other bits in the eastern margin).

The projection settings I am using coincides with those used in CISM (I am using lon/lat and projection settings as in the input file for my simulation), and the resources I set are

  res at mpLimitMode       = "Corners"
  res at mpLeftCornerLatF      = lat(0,0)
  res at mpLeftCornerLonF      = lon(0,0)
  res at mpRightCornerLatF     = lat(ny-1,nx-1)
  res at mpRightCornerLonF     = lon(ny-1,nx-1)
  res at trGridType   = "TriangularMesh"
  res at mpProjection = "Stereographic"  ; Change the map projection.
  res at mpDataBaseVersion     = "mediumres"
  res at mpCenterLonF = -45.0
  res at mpCenterLatF = 70.0
  res at tfDoNDCOverlay      =   True

Do you know the reason for - and if it is possible to solve - this discrepancy? I attach also the contour_movie.ncl file if you want to have a look (the figure attached is just one snapshot).

thanks,
Michele

Michele Petrini

PhD in Earth Science and Fluid Mechanics
Department of Geoscience and Remote Sensing, TUDelft
Delft, The Netherlands

M.Petrini at tudelft.nl<mailto:M.Petrini at tudelft.nl>
+39 3398367372
michele.petrins (Skype alias)