[ncl-talk] Enquiries on vector plottting

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 26 10:48:50 MDT 2015

Hi Keng-Oon,
For the high and low labels: See examples 1 and 2 from the satellite
applications page here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/satel.shtml#ex2

There are a whole suite of cnHigh* and cnLow* resources.

If you are interested in identifying local highs and lows you can use the
local_min and local_max functions:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/local_max.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/local_min.shtml

Adam

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Rick Brownrigg <brownrig at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One thing that comes to mind is to simply normalize your vector data prior
> to plotting. You would then use the vcRefLengthF resource to control how
> big the vectors are in the plot.  There are plenty of examples on the
> examples page, a basic one being veceff_1.ncl.
>
> http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/veceff.shtml
> http://ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/vc.shtml
>

> I don't know about the Sea Level plot -- perhaps someone else can comment on that.
>
> Rick
>

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 7:41 AM, KO Chiam <kochiam at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Sir/Mdm,
>>
>> I am new to NCL and would appreciate if you can help address the
>> following queries. Please pardon me if they sounds too simple.
>>
>> I would like to plot vectors (basically wind data) using arrows but I
>> would like the arrows to be of equal length, in other words, I am only
>> interested in the direction but not the magnitude. May I know if there is a
>> way to do this?
>>
>> Also, is there already a function call to identify and plot the high and
>> low pressure of a mean sea level chart?
>>
>> The version of NCL I am using is v6.3.0.
>>
>> Thank you very much for your time and help.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Keng-Oon

Adam Phillips