[ncl-talk] Filling area between curve and x-axis in xy2 plot

Guido Cioni guidocioni at gmail.com
Wed May 25 03:19:40 MDT 2016

Dear all,
I’ve been trying to produce a simple xy2 plot with two lines and a filled curve. The problem is that the latter, which is drawn together with the curve in the second y axis, cover the other two lines. I tried to play around with the resources xyCurveDrawOrder and tfPolyDrawOrder but nothing did the trick. I think that there is no special resource that controls the draw order of elements in xy2 plots, thus the second curve is always drawn on top of the others.
Is there any other way to achieve the same results? Maybe using polyline?
Attached you find a snippet of the code (only the relevant part) and the resulting plot.

 do j=0,dimsizes(case)-1

 plot=new(dimsizes(case), graphic)
 poly=new(dimsizes(case), graphic)
 wks   = gsn_open_wks ("pdf",”tserie")                ; open workstation
 res                  = True                     ; plot mods desired
 res at xyDashPatterns=(/0,0/)
 res at xyLineThicknessF=(/3,3/)
 res at xyLineColors=(/"blue","red”/)

   data= (/lhflx, shflx/)
   data2 = qnet

   res2= True
   res2 at gsnDraw = False
   res2 at gsnFrame = False
   res2 at xyLineColor = "gold"
   res2 at gsnYRefLine           = 0.0
  res2 at gsnAboveYRefLineColor = “lightyellow"

  plot(j)=gsn_csm_xy2(wks,time,data,data2,res,res2)

delete([/lhflx, shflx, serie, time, data /])
 end do

plnres = True
gsn_panel(wks,plot,(/3,1/),plnres)

Guido Cioni