[ncl-talk] Problem with labelbar on maximized single plot

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue May 26 13:32:22 MDT 2020

Hi Roberto,
Sometimes NCL accidentally pushes the labelbar off of the frame. It seems
to happen more often when gsnMaximize is set to true. You can try the
following:
1 - set gsnMaximize to False
2 - set gsnMaximize to False, and set vpWidthF = 0.9, vpHeightF = 0.9, vpYF
= 0.95 and vpXF = 0.1. If you haven't used these resources before, they set
the location on the frame to draw the plot. Note that unless otherwise
indicated by the mpShapeMode resource being set to "FreeAspect", NCL will
not distort the map projection to fit the vp resource settings.  You will
likely have to play somewhat with the vp resource settings above to get
what you want. If you have not used those resources before more information
can be found here:  http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/viewport.shtml

If that advice does not solve the problem please respond to ncl-talk and
include an image.
Adam

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 12:05 PM Roberto Granda Maestre via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone. I've been recently updating my old and quite simple ncl codes
> for plotting WRF data.
>
> I've deprecated wrf_xxx functions in favor of gsn_csm_xxx functions, so
> that I can tweak plot more and I can, specially, maximize the output.
>
> The problem is quite simple, but frustrating. I have the script arranged
> in a mode that I first do all variable "plotting" and then i set all the
> map resources, and afterwards, overlay variables plots over the map
> (contours, vectors, streamlines...).
>
> I thought I had the script perfectly operative, since yesterday's plots
> show labelbar, titles and everything in position.
>
> The problem has arisen today, when I've run a simulation with a bigger
> domain (3km, around 1/2 of Iberian Peninsula). When I tried to plot the
> maps, the labelbar appeared cut at the bottom of the png.
>
> It's strange, as with larger domains (15km for part of Western Europe) the
> labelbar appears perfectly.
>
> I attach one of the scripts. It should be fairly straightaway to use
> changing directories, archive name and colormaps in use (sorry for
> annotations in spanish, it's my mother tongue and I'm doing scripts
> thinking in my most close community).
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Roberto

Adam Phillips