[ncl-talk] Disappearing Dots (Revisited)

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 14 12:05:59 MST 2020

Hi Barry,
If I had to guess, it is that the arrow function writes the
gsn_add_polyline output as attributes named arr,arr1, and arr2 to the plt
array that is to be returned by the function. If you call the function
multiple times and pass all the graphical output to the same logical array
named "array", each time you call arrow, array at arr, array at arr1 and
array at arr2 will get overwritten.  To get around this, you should alter the
arrow function to use the unique_string function.
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/unique_string.shtml

For an example of how to do this, see polymarker example #18:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/polyg.shtml#ex18

For example, change this:
plt at arr = gsn_add_polyline(wks,plt,xpts,ypts,res)
to this:
str = unique_string("arr")
plt@$str$ = gsn_add_polyline(wks,plt,xpts,ypts,res)

and do the same for the other two calls to gsn_add_polyline.
Hope that helps!
Adam

Adam Phillips