[ncl-talk] dim_spei_n documentation (standardized precipitation evapo-transporation index)

Oluwaseun Ilori wilseun at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 12:47:00 MDT 2019

Hello community,
I've been doing some works on drought over some time now and I need to
compute SPEI with ncl using the "dim_spei_n" function reference card. I've
been also looking for documentation and usage of this function but I have
no luck about that (maybe I didn't search very well). until I came across
this (http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/ncl-talk/2016-February/005133.html)
process which is not clear to to me cos I guessed the writer make use of
thornthwaite method to compute evapo-transpiration (require on mean
temperature). Practicing with the examples on the page takes me to no
where. My questions are;
1. is this dim_spei_n still available in NCL latest version and the link to
it.
2. if not, how could compute evapo-transpiration (ET) in NCL using
Hargreaves method that takes in minimum and maximum temperature as input
data and latiude so that I can further subtract the result from my
prcipitation data since SPEI is also know as the difference between
Precipitation and ET.
3. i want to save the result in netcdf file.
NB: 1 and 2 is my major problem that has kept me on a spot for over three
months now.
Thanks for the helpful response in advance.

--
*OLUWASEUN ILORI*
*B.Tech(Hons) in Meteorology*

*M.Tech in Meteorology and climate science (in view)*

*Phone: +2347031000687 +2348069154213*
*Federal University of Technology Akure. Nigeria.*
*Facebook: *http://facebook.com/hilorywilson
<https://www.facebook.com/hilorywilson>
linkedln: https://www.linkedin.com/in/wilson-ilori-447952108
Twitter: HiloryW