[ncl-talk] NCL script running slow for ploting Timeseries

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 8 08:12:58 MST 2019

LSL,

NCL has a weakness when handling huge numbers of strings.  I am not sure
this is the problem.  If it is, then do not do this inside a loop:

    strs_wrf = asciiread(fwrf,-1,"string")

Instead use any one of these approaches:

* Read each time series directly as float, not string.
* Convert time series files in advance to external numeric format, such as
Netcdf.
* Run the plot script in a shell loop, and plot only one site in each
iteration.

Also try delete (plot) after gsn_panel and before "end do".  This is easy,
maybe try this first.

--Dave