[ncl-talk] How do I color fill a map using transparent colors for part of the range?

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 7 09:55:59 MDT 2019

Hi Cathy,

the function read_colormap_file() can be used to read a colormap; it always
returns an Nx4 array, where the rightmost dimension holds the red, green,
blue, alpha channels. Alpha controls translucency, where 0.0 is completely
transparent and 1.0 is completely opaque.  You can assign that colormap to
the resource cnFillColors to be used for your contour map.

    http://ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/read_colormap_file.shtml

This would be one way to set the first three levels to transparent.
Determining which color indices get mapped to the first three contour
levels could be tricky, however -- it may not be as simple as the first
three color entries, particularly is cnSpanFillPalette is True.

Hope that helps...
Rick