[ncl-talk] wind barbs in southern hemisphere

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Sat Jun 1 14:33:09 MDT 2019

Hi Zilore,

Yes, as cryptic as the line "*wmsetp*
<http://www.ncarg.ucar.edu//supplements/wmap/index.html#HEADING1-225>("wba",-62.0)"
seems, perhaps try that if you haven't already. I personally am not sure
how that's supposed to work, but Dennis must have some insight on that.  To
answer your question about what it all means, parts of NCL make use of a
lower-level software package called WMAP. NCL does a pretty good job of
setting parameters to that package, but wmsetp() is a means by which a user
can override those settings and control WMAP directly. The parameters that
one can override -- and the meaning of the "wba" parameter -- can be found
here:

    http://www.ncarg.ucar.edu//supplements/wmap/index.html#HEADING1-225

and general information about WMAP can be found here:

    http://www.ncarg.ucar.edu//supplements/wmap/index.html

BTW: what NCL function are you calling to draw the wind barbs?

--Rick