[ncl-talk] Problem using 'overlay' procedure

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Sat Jan 12 13:06:04 MST 2019

Hi,

In answer to your second question, regarding the paneling of overlay plots,
it *may* be the case that you have to draw that "plot_stat" for each
overlay. There's wording to this effect in the docs:

"Once you overlay *transform_id* plot, you can no longer draw it
separately. You can only draw the *base_id* plot, which causes the base
plot to be drawn along with all the plots that have been overlaid on it."

which suggests to me that you can't reuse plot_stat for the second
overlay.  I don't know this for certain -- it is speculation and perhaps
something to try out.

Its hard to say about your first question -- in what sense does it not
work?  We don't see all the resources you used -- is it the case you have:

  res at gsnDraw             = False       ; Do not draw plot
  res at gsnFrame            = False       ; Do not advance frame

for the first plot (plot_a)?

Rick