[ncl-talk] Follow up on "color of labels for legend" + simple legend

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 13 11:28:08 MST 2019

Hi Laura,
The simple_legend resources that are unique to the function only work when
passed into the function, which is why they are documented on the
simple_legend documentation page and not the regular NCL resource list
pages. I created simple_legend due to frustration in my group about not
having complete control of the look/placement of every aspect of NCL's
legends. I would highly recommend using simple_legend from now on.

Testing lgLabelFontColor now it looks like you can only set one color to
use for all your legend text labels, so I see why it didn't work for you.
It looks like there is no way to set individual colors for each legend text
string using NCL's default legend creation methods. simple_legend is the
way to go if this is a necessity.
Adam

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 10:47 AM Laura Fowler <laura at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi Adam et al:
>
> Thanks for the reply you sent me yesterday. Unofrtunately, I could not
> make your suggestion to work. I did look at simple_legend since I am
> particularly interested in the resources below. The lgLabels,
> lgLabelFontHeights, and lgLabelColors are exactly the resources I would
> like to use.
>
> I am not understanding why they are not documented in ncl and not
> available when I try to use them in my script. Are those resources only
> available with we use simple_legend then. I am confused.
>
> textres = True
> textres at lgLabels = (/"CCSM4 Control","b.e11.B1850C5CN.f09_g16.005","Ensemble Member #15"/) ; labels (req)
> textres at lgLabelFontHeights = (/0.015,0.018,0.025/)                           ; label font heights
> textres at lgLabelColors = (/"green","black","orange"/)                        ; label font colors
> textres at lgLabelOpacity = (/0.8,0.5,1.0/)                                     ; 0->1, label opacities
>
> Thanks,
> Laura
>
> --

> Laura D. Fowler
>
> Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division (MMM)
> P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000
>
> e-mail: laura at ucar.edu
> phone: 303-497-1628

Adam Phillips