[ncl-talk] Plotting station data as contour

Buzan, Jonathan jbuzan at purdue.edu
Tue Feb 5 12:31:08 MST 2019

Raster or Cellfill are ways around patchy data.

-Jonathan

On Feb 5, 2019, at 20:13, Sam McClatchie <smcclatchie at fishocean.info<mailto:smcclatchie at fishocean.info>> wrote:

Hello MeteoBB

I've struggled with the same problem. I tend to forget sometimes that contouring is not magic. Plotting your data under the contours shows that there are considerable areas of your plot where there are no data. The spatial pattern and sparsity of your points are challenging to contour. Perhaps contouring is not the best method to illustrate these data. Are you asking the routine to do something that it is not designed to do? Just plotting the points coloured by magnitude may give a better representation of the actual data. You can also scale the size of each coloured point by it's magnitude. This can be quite an effective representation of this type of data.

Best fishes
Sam
--
Sam McClatchie (fisheries oceanographer)
& Elena Turin (accounting & auditing)

"The time has come", the tui said,
"to talk of many things:
Of songs - and ferns - and flowering flax,
of Pukekos and dreams ..."

(not Lewis Carroll)