[ncl-talk] Issue producing panel plot with single overlay plots

Anne anne.seidenglanz at unive.it
Tue Feb 5 12:04:14 MST 2019

Hi,

I am producing 3 polar projection plots in a panel, whereby each single has
overlaid contours (using the 'overlay' procedure); see below, I also
attached the complete script.
In this way I end up with 2 png files, the 1st showing 1 plot that has all
3 plots overlaid on top of each other, and the 2nd one the actual, correct,
panelled plot. For simple viewing purposes, this is fine for me, but when
it comes to inserting the plots into a word document, also in another
format, like .eps format, then only 1 file is being produced and when I
insert it, only the wrong overlaid 3-in-1 plot appears.

So my question is:  What is the best way in dealing with overlaid(!) plots
in a panelled configuration, and how to produce them properly (i.e. format)
if one wants to insert them into word? I also tried to reduce the size of
the workstation but wasn't successful, they would still have a large frame.

My goal is to have a nice, high quality eps file of my (paneled) plot.

Thanks for any help,
Anne

         res at gsnCenterString = "NDJ "+field+" response"
        plot(0) = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks, diff_means_lead0, res)
        plot0   = gsn_csm_contour(wks, prob_lead0, res2)        ; 0.1 shade
all areas less than the
        plot0   = gsn_contour_shade(plot0, 0.05, 999.,opt)      ; 0.05
contour level (0.15 for 0.1 contour level)

        overlay(plot(0),plot0)
        draw(plot(0))

         res at gsnCenterString = "DJF "+field+" response"
        plot(1) = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks, diff_means_lead1, res)
        plot1   = gsn_csm_contour(wks, prob_lead1, res2)        ; 0.1 shade
all areas less than the
        plot1   = gsn_contour_shade(plot1, 0.05, 999.,opt)      ; 0.05
contour level (0.15 for 0.1 contour level)

        overlay(plot(1),plot1)
        draw(plot(1))

         res at gsnCenterString = "JFM "+field+" response"
        plot(2) = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks, diff_means_lead2, res)
        plot2   = gsn_csm_contour(wks, prob_JFM, res2)  ; 0.1 shade all
areas less than the
        plot2   = gsn_contour_shade(plot2, 0.05, 999.,opt)
 ;0.05 contour level (0.15 for 0.1 contour level)

        overlay(plot(2),plot2)
        draw(plot(2))

        frame(wks)

            resP                     = True