[ncl-talk] Querry regarding wind shear area average plot

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 5 15:59:55 MST 2019

I hesitate to answer this because I do not want to end up doing the
programming.
*You must do the work.*

To get you started:

  u(nens,time,lev,lat,lon), v(nens,time,lev,lat,lon)

  pHigh   = 250
  pLow    = 850
  ushear = u(:,:,{pHigh,:,:)-u(:,:,{pLow},:,:)
  vshear = v(:,:,{pHigh},:,:)-v(:,:,{pLow},:,:)
  ushear at long_name = "USHEAR: ("+pHigh+"-"+pLow+")"
  vshear at long_name = "VSHEAR: ("+pHigh+"-"+pLow+")"
  ushear at units           = u at units
  vshear at units           = v at units
  copy_VarCoords(u(:,:,0,:,:), ushear)
  copy_VarCoords(v(:,:,0,:,:), vshear)

  printVarSummary(ushear)                          ; (nens,time,lat,lon)
  printVarSummary(vshear)

  shear = sqrt(ushear^2 + vshear^2)
  shear at long_name = "SHEAR"
  shear at units     = ushear at units
  copy_varCoords(ushear, shear)
  printVarSummary(shear)

----
Perhaps:

[1] clat(nens,ntim) and clon(nens,ntim)  ; storm center for each ensemble
member at each time.
[2] Use *gc_latlon*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/gc_latlon.shtml> to
calculate the distance from the storm center(s)
[3] Calculate areal means according to distance.

----
Another example that might be useful:
*http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/regrid.shtml*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/regrid.shtml>