[ncl-talk] Division by 0, Can't continue

Barry Lynn barry.h.lynn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 03:27:34 MST 2019

Before doing the division, you need to use the where function to set 0
values to a fill values.  Then, they will be ignored.

For example,

Perhaps you want to set psi to _FillValue wherever it is equal to 0 before
you do the calculation:

  psi = where(psi.ne.0,psi,psi at _FillValue),
Then

Y = X/psi should work.

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 12:21 PM Karin Meier-Fleischer via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi Atul,
>
> do you want to calculate the avg and the stddev on the longitude
> coordinate? The functions dim_avg and dim_stddev do the calculations on the
> right- most dimension. If you want to do it on the time dimension then you
> should use dim_avg_n and dim_stddev_n functions.
>
> To prevent division by 0 you can use the where function. Searching the
> internet will give you some ncl-talk answers to this issue.
>
> -Karin
>

> Am 05.12.19 um 10:51 schrieb Atul Saini via ncl-talk:
>
> Hi NCL,
>               I am trying to plot the map showing calculate gridwise
> coefficient of variation but it is not getting plotted and one error is
> Division by 0, Can't continue. Please help!
>
> Please find the script file and data file attached.
> Please help, it's urgent.
>
> Regards,

Barry H. Lynn, Ph.D
Senior Associate Scientist, Lecturer,