[ncl-talk] colorbar problem with overlays

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed May 23 13:53:04 MDT 2018

Hi Mark,

You are creating several contour plots and then overlaying them on a final
contour/map plot. This is all looks good.

What I think is happening is that you are getting a labelbar associated
with each of these plots and they don't necessarily line up because NCL
doesn't know that you are planning to overlay all of these objects later.

Since you did the correct thing of making sure each plot had the same
contour levels, then what you can do is turn off the labelbar for all of
the gsn_csm_contour plots and only leave it on for the gsn_csm_contour_map
plot.

You can use the lbLabelBarOn resource for this:

  plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,aqual,res)

  res at lbLabelBarOn = False ;   labelbar will be turned off for all
subsequent plots.

  plot_ov1 = gsn_csm_contour(wks,aquao,res)
  overlay(plot,plot_ov1)
  plot_ov2 = gsn_csm_contour(wks,aquad,res)
  overlay(plot,plot_ov2)
.  .  .

--Mary