[ncl-talk] a suggestion to expand the ocean color tables

Sam McClatchie smcclatchie at fishocean.info
Tue May 22 22:27:09 MDT 2018

Thanks Mary, that is terrific. I've said it before, but you guys rock!
I'll start using the new tables immediately.

Thanks!
Sam

On 05/23/2018 02:57 PM, Mary Haley wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> This is a heads up that we have added these color tables and are
> working on some NDVI / vegetation ones as well.
>
> You can see the current list of what we've added so far here:
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/future_release.shtml#NewColorTables6.5.0
>
> We are having an internal discussion about what to call the
> "nasa_ndvi" one because I haven't found an official name for it.  :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> --Mary
>

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 2:53 PM, Adam Phillips <asphilli at ucar.edu
> <mailto:asphilli at ucar.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Sam,
>     I agree, those colormaps would be a great addition. I have created
>     a JIRA-ticket for this: NCL-2747. To read these into NCL we need
>     the RGB values, and I didn't find them on the site you sent.
>     (Perhaps one can get them by sending the site's creator an email.)
>
>     I did though find them on the Ocean Data Viewer github repository
>     here:
>     https://github.com/kthyng/cmocean-odv/tree/master/pal
>     <https://github.com/kthyng/cmocean-odv/tree/master/pal>
>
>     Clicking on the ice.pal file for instance, gives you what I think
>     the ice colormap is, sandwiched between some standard colors at
>     the beginning and end of the colormap.
>
>     I've attached a script, the rgb values and a figure providing an
>     example on how to use these values in NCL.
>     Hope that helps!
>     Adam
>

>     On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 5:35 PM, Sam McClatchie
>     <smcclatchie at fishocean.info <mailto:smcclatchie at fishocean.info>>
>     wrote:
>
>         Hello
>
>         I notice that NCL has two nice blue-tinted ocean color tables
>         (GMT_ocean and MPL_ocean) as well as a rich diversity of other
>         color tables. However, I'd like to suggest adding the family
>         of cmocean color tables to expand the oceanographic palettes.
>         I'm not sure if this link <https://matplotlib.org/cmocean/>
>         <https://matplotlib.org/cmocean/> will get through to the list
>         , but if not, a quick search for "cmocean colormaps" will find
>         the page I am referring to.
>
>         Best fishes
>         Sam
>         --
>         Sam McClatchie (fisheries oceanographer)
>         & Elena Turin (audit)
>         home: 38 Upland Rd, Huia, Auckland 0604, New Zealand
>         text: WhatsApp +1 858 752 8495
>         FishOcean Enterprises <http://www.fishocean.info>
>

>         "The time has come", the tui said,
>         "to talk of many things:
>         Of songs - and ferns - and flowering flax,
>         of Pukekos and dreams ..."
>
>         (not Lewis Carroll)

>     --
>     Adam Phillips
>     Associate Scientist, Climate and Global Dynamics Laboratory, NCAR
>     www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/asphilli/
>     <http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/asphilli/> 303-497-1726

email signature Sam McClatchie (fisheries oceanographer)
& Elena Turin (accounting & auditing)
FishOcean Enterprises
38 Upland Rd, Huia, Auckland 0604, New Zealand
cell: 027 752 8495
Internet <http://www.fishocean.info>