[ncl-talk] Computing storm track based on one-dimensional lat/lon arrays

Andrew Kren - NOAA Affiliate andrew.kren at noaa.gov
Mon May 14 14:13:42 MDT 2018

Dear ncl-talk,

I'm not sure of the best way forward on some code I am writing.

I have a fortran program that computes storm tracks of extratropical
systems in an analysis dataset, as well as from GFS forecasts. The files
output are a grads text file of the lat/lon positions and the storm numbers
over the selected time periods.

My issue is that while I have the tracks for all the cyclones, I'm trying
to decide the best way to match the GFS initial lat/lon positions to the
analysis position so that I am computing the correct track and pressure
error. That is, I want to find the lat/lon pair at the 00 hour that is
closest to the analysis time for that run. My problem is that my latitude
and longitude and pressure values in the analysis and forecast text files
are one-dimensional. I have stored the data as a function of (storm number,
time or forecast hour). Would it be best to convert the data, such as
pressure, to be a function of (lat,lon) and use coordinate subscripting?

I tried to use closest_val_anyOrder but it is giving me different indices
for lat and lon, which would not work for me. Attached is my code. You'll
notice where I left off, the exit line on line 172.

Andrew Kren
Assistant Scientist
CIMAS & NOAA/AOML
325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305