[ncl-talk] tickmarks

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 31 13:24:24 MDT 2018

Hi Ehsan,
Good question with regards to the YL Axis: I don't know. According to the
documentation, when you set tmYLMode = "Explicit", the minor tick marks
should be turned off, as they are for the XB Axis. Your plot shows that is
not happening.

With regards to setting minor tickmarks every 0.5 degrees: You can do this,
but you can't do this the way I originally told you as fspan wants to know
how many values to produce. Instead of tying fspan to the earlier settings
of minlon/maxlon (values that can be set to anything), I'd just hard wire
it like this: res at tmXBMinorValues = fspan(42,66,49)
Adam

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 6:34 AM Ehsan Taghizadeh <ehsantaghizadeh at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Dear Adam,
> Thank you for your help. It works with a little edition:
> res at tmXBMinorValues = ispan(toint(minlon),toint(maxlon),1).
> However just for curious why it isn't necessary for Y axis. I mean why Y
> minor tick marks are shown without (tmYLMinorValues)?
> And what if I need 0.5 degree spacing between minor tickmarks? Because
> fspan (something like res at tmXBMinorValues    = fspan(minlon,maxlon,23))
> results bad figure (attached figure.)
> I'll be thankful if you have time to guide me about it.
>
> Sincerely
> Ehsan
>
> On Monday, July 30, 2018, 9:10:06 PM GMT+4:30, Adam Phillips <
> asphilli at ucar.edu> wrote:
>

> Hi Ehsan,
> Try setting res at tmXBMinorValues = ispan(minlon,maxlon,1) and see if that
> gets you minor tick marks on the bottom x-axis.
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/tm.shtml#tmXBMinorValues
> Adam
>
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 4:22 AM Ehsan Taghizadeh <
> ehsantaghizadeh at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I tried to have both minor and major tickmarks on Bottom X axis, just
> like Left Y axis. However it seems minor and major tickmarks on Bottom X
> are overlaying.
> Input file is about 17GB, so I didn't upload it in ftp. It is just WRF
> output. However if you think it is necessary I could do it.
> Other information are:
> $ ncl -V
> 6.5.0
> $ uname -a
> Linux RDPISHBINI 3.10.0-862.3.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 21 23:36:36 UTC
> 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I attached the script and its output image. The script will run with "ncl
> 'wrfvar="PBLH"' 'plnm="pblhnew"' wrfout.ncl", however as I said input
> file hasn't been attached because of its huge size.
> I'll be thankful if I could have any help.
>
> Sincerely
> Ehsan

> Adam Phillips
> Associate Scientist,  Climate and Global Dynamics Laboratory, NCAR
> www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/asphilli/   303-497-1726
>
> <http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/asphilli>

Adam Phillips