[ncl-talk] Two-tailed student

Morteza Qadimi mqadimi at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 23:34:06 MDT 2018

Hi,I need to separate CP and EP El Nino years from 1979-2016 by the method used in "A new method to classify ENSO events into eastern and central Pacific types". I've obtained EOF and pattern correlation coefficient as mentioned in the paper. I've obtained and 1D array (Say EPC1 Index) which is the 1st pattern correlation coefficient. The author says about this EPC:" The EP type El Niño is defined as the case when the EPC1 index is equal to or greater than 0.79 which is significant at the 90% confidence level from the two-tailed Student’s t-test."How can i calculate 0.79 for my own research? I saw the "student_t(t, df)" function of NCL. If t is the EPC1, what is df?Sincerely,Morteza