[ncl-talk] gsn_contour_shade

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 19 11:39:39 MDT 2018

Hi Laura,
One can't overlay a plotting type with a map over another plotting class
with a map. This should work:
plot  = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,lwpath_a(:,:,n),res)
plot2 = gsn_csm_contour(wks,cldtopt_a(:,:,n),res)
overlay(plot,plot2)

You are getting the various mp* errors as you can't pass mp resources to a
non-map plotting function, in this case gsn_csm_contour. You should be able
to safely ignore those messages as everything will still work; NCL is just
telling you it is ignoring some of your resources. If you would like to get
rid of the messages though, I would recommend you create a new resource
list, res2, for your cldtopt_a array that excludes mp resources.
Hope that helps!
Adam

Adam Phillips