[ncl-talk] gsn_contour_shade

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 19 11:33:21 MDT 2018

Hello:

I am following the ncl script overlay_5.ncl to overlay shading over a
contour plot. see the script test3.ncl in

/glade2/scratch2/laura/forNCL

first, I plot the cloud liquid water path:

plot  = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,lwpath_a(:,:,n),res)

then I would like to overlay shading of the cloud-top temperature with
shading for cloud-top temperatures less than 248 or greater than 268.

When I use:

plot2 = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,cldtopt_a(:,:,n),res)

I get the error message:

fatal:NhlAddOverlay: plot class mapPlotClass cannot be overlay plot member

When I use gsn_csm_contour(wks,cldtopt_a(:,:,n),res)
then I get the messages:

warning:mpProjection is not a valid resource in
test3.ceres_aqua.PO.dec2015_contour at this time

warning:mpMinLonF is not a valid resource in
test3.ceres_aqua.PO.dec2015_contour at this time

warning:mpMaxLonF is not a valid resource in
test3.ceres_aqua.PO.dec2015_contour at this time

warning:mpMinLatF is not a valid resource in
test3.ceres_aqua.PO.dec2015_contour at this time

warning:mpMaxLatF is not a valid resource in
test3.ceres_aqua.PO.dec2015_contour at this time

warning:mpCenterLonF is not a valid resource in
test3.ceres_aqua.PO.dec2015_contour at this time

warning:mpShapeMode is not a valid resource in
test3.ceres_aqua.PO.dec2015_contour at this time

warning:mpDataBaseVersion is not a valid resource in
test3.ceres_aqua.PO.dec2015_contour at this time

I am not sure what is going wrong, and would really like a suggestion on
how to fix this.

Many thanks,
Laura

--
Laura D. Fowler

Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division (MMM)
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000

e-mail: laura at ucar.edu
phone: 303-497-1628