[ncl-talk] Loop creating different variable names

Anne anne.seidenglanz at unive.it
Tue Feb 27 04:18:22 MST 2018

Hello,

I am trying to loop through a number of months (like *month = (/"nov",
"dec", "jan"/)*) to compute some climatologies (I know there are functions
but I need to do it manually here). Because I am reading in and plotting 4
different data sets I am looking for way to loop over the months, *in order
to become part of the new variable name*, so as to make the script shorter
and better readable.
My "$" syntax doesn't seem to work here (see below). There was an ncl talk
a few years ago saying that one needs to treat the months as  attributes of
another variable in order to be able to use the "$" syntax, is that still
the case?

month = (/"nov", "dec", "jan"/)

 do m=0,dimsizes(month)-1
   var_$month(m)$_nsidc = var_dtrend_nsidc(0::12,:,:)
 end do

*I want to end up with:*
var_nov_nsidc
var_dec_nsidc
var_jan_nsidc

What am I doing wrong here?

Any help appreciated,
thanks
Anne

--
Nota automatica aggiunta dal sistema di posta.