[ncl-talk] Zooming in WRF plot

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 22 17:07:46 MST 2018

Hi Ronald,

Rick is right that wrf_map_resources is the issue.

The sole purpose of wrf_map_resources is to look at your WRF file and set
all the necessary mpXXXX resources needed to plot the data on the
*original* WRF map projection defined on the file. It assumes you are
plotting the full WRF data, unless you set the special "ZoomIn" attribute
along with the Xstart / Xend / Ystart / Yend attributes.

For examples on how to zoom in on WRF data, see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrfzoom.shtml

In particular, if you want to zoom in on the data using a min/max lat/lon
value like you were doing with the script you attached, then look at
example wrf_zoom_3.ncl which shows how to do this. You cannot use
wrf_map_resources in this case. The example explains more about this.

If you want to use the WRF map projection defined on the file, but zoom in
on it, then see example wrf_zoom_1.ncl on the above page.

Good luck,

--Mary