[ncl-talk] unstructured smoothing

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 13 14:49:15 MST 2018

Hi Ehsan,
You can try setting cnFillMode = "AreaFill", cnSmoothingOn = True, and the
cnSmoothingDistanceF resource.
See example #1 here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrfhelicity.shtml#ex1

Note that you may want to set cnSmoothingTensionF as well:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/cn.shtml#cnSmoothingTensionF

I don't have any experience with these resources, but from the
documentation you may have to experiment a bit with the settings.
Good luck. If you have any further questions please post them to the
ncl-talk email list.
Adam

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 1:27 AM, Ehsan Taghizadeh <ehsantaghizadeh at yahoo.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've plotted precipitation of some synoptic stations. I've gotten attached
> pictures with
> "cnFillMode= RasterFill"          (attached: plot_unstructured_grid_
> camseRaster.png),
> "cnRasterSmoothingOn=True" (attached: plot_unstructured_
> grid_camseRaseterSmoothing.png).
> "cnFillMode=AreaFill"              (attached: plot_unstructured_
> grid_camseArea.png),
>
> However I really want something like (Tang_2016.jpg, Fig.1-b), attached,
> which should be drawn by IDW (Inverse Distance Weighting) interpolation
> method. This picture is more smoother than mine and also much similar to
> GPM precipitation (attached: 20170411_16multibarV04.png).
> Could I have you help about IDW in NCL to get smoother pictures from point
> data?
>
> I've attached my script and all related files. I'll be thankful for any
> help.
>
> *Sincerely*
> *Ehsan*

Adam Phillips