[ncl-talk] gsn_add_polyline and wrf_map_overlays

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 7 10:21:39 MST 2018

Hi Ty,

I don't know for certain, but there is this blurb on the docs fo
wrf_map_overlays; perhaps that will help:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_arw/wrf_map_overlays.shtml

*wrf_map_overlays* is part of a library of functions and procedures in
WRFUserARW.ncl
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_arw/WRFUserARW.shtml> written
to help users plot ARW WRF model data. This function replaces
*wrf_map_overlay*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_arw/wrf_map_overlay.shtml>.

If you want to use gsn_add_poly*xxxx* routines (like *gsn_add_polymarker*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Interfaces/gsn_add_polymarker.shtml>)
to add primtives to a WRF plot, then you need to set:

plt_res at PanelPlot = True
plt_res at FramePlot = False

before you call *wrf_map_overlays*. Then, call the appropriate gsn_add_poly
*xxxx* routine to attach the desired primitives, and finally call *draw*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/draw.shtml>(plot) and
*frame* <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/frame.shtml>(wks)
to draw the plot with the attached primitives and advance the frame.