[ncl-talk] Issues with ESMF_regrid

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 24 15:48:57 MDT 2017

Hi Laura,

I don't really know much about the regridding process, but what I have been
able to surmise running the script:

i) NCL reads the MPAS, and creates source*.nc and destination*.nc files.
These appear to reflect the geometry of the src/dest grids

ii) The actual regridding is is done by ESMF software, with a command:

  ESMF_RegridWeightGen --source source_grid_file.nc --destination
destination_grid_file.nc --weight
weights_onCells.15-3Mesh_to_0.15rectangular.nc --src_type ESMF -i

This program SEGVs almost immediately, with a message:

"values=<error reading variable: value requires 155713536 bytes, which is
more than max-value-size>...."

That value is exactly the size of one of the variables in the source*.nc
file.  So it looks like some internal limit is being exceeded in the ESMF
software.

Is this one of the larger MPAS files you've attempted to regrid?  I wonder
if anyone else can comment on this?  Those on the glade file system can see
all the relevant files under /glade/scratch/brownrig

I'm not sure what to tell you as a work-around. Without a debug version of
the code, its nearly impossible for me to tell much more or to  detemine
what the limits might be. Wish I had a better answer.

Rick