[ncl-talk] Control the contour line labels

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 25 11:56:18 MST 2016

Hello,
You can control the line labeling but only to a certain degree. You cannot
however set resources to instruct NCL to only label each line once.

In my experience you will have to go through some trial and error to get
what you want. You can try these different combinations of resources:
Method 1
res at cnLineLabelPlacementMode = "Computed"
res at cnLineLabelDensityF = 0.5  ; will have to adjust

Method 2
res at cnLineLabelPlacementMode = "Randomized"
res at cnLineLabelDensityF = 0.5  ; will have to adjust

Method 3
res at cnLineLabelPlacementMode = "Constant"
res at cnLineDashSegLenF = 0.07   ; will have to adjust

All three methods require you to experiment with the settings of the second
resource. Finally, note that cnLineLabelCount is a read-only resource, so
setting that resource will not result in any plot changes.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/cn.shtml#cnLineLabelPlacementMode
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/cn.shtml#cnLineLabelDensityF
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/cn.shtml#cnLineDashSegLenF

Hope that helps. If not, or if you have any further questions please
respond to ncl-talk.
Adam

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 11:21 PM, Sandeep K. K. <sandeep.ocngr at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> I wanted to plot a contour line figure of my variable. I could plot as the
> attached figure. But I wanted the line labelling of each contour to be
> appear only once. Here you can see in the attached figure that labelling
> for the 110 contour line appears 5 times, and similarly some others. Is it
> possible to control the line labelling?. I tried with
>
> res at cnLineLabelDensityF and
> res at cnLineLabelCount But was not successful. I would be grateful for any
> help or suggestions.

Adam Phillips