[ncl-talk] Troubles with global ERA-INTERIM data when plotting sub-domain.

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Jun 3 17:09:19 MDT 2015

If you had done what ncl-talk *always* advises .... *look at your data*

you would have seen some issues.

===============
a = addfile ("w_jja.nc", "r")
W = a->w/100                           ; this eliminates all meta data!!!
printVarSummary(W)               ; *look* at this!!!

you would not see any meta data. (eg, named dimensions)

==============
Later you do

WM=dim_avg_n(W,0)/100

I don't get it.
==============
If you had done

W = a->w                          ; this retains all meta data
printVarSummary(W)

W = W/100
printVarSummary(W)

or, better

W = W/100
@@units = "... whatever ..."
printVarSummary(W)

==================

It is your responsibility to carefully examine each step of your actions.

a = addfile ("w_jja.nc", "r")
W = a->w
W = W/100
W at units = "..."
printVarSummary(W)
WM=dim_avg_n_Wrap(W,0)
printVarSummary(WM)

===================
There is absolutely no need to reorder your data.
The graphics codes do not care.

You state:
  I am using global ERA-INTERIM Reanalysis.

The way you have done the plots

res at gsnAddCyclic = False

should be True (that is the default)

Even though you are specifying a limited area, you are feeding the entire
global array,
hence, under the hood, the plotis global but you are plotting a subset