[ncl-install] Problem runing ncl on Ubuntu 18.04

Diego Remolina dijuremo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:18:51 MST 2018

Hi Mary,

That line is just because I used "TAB" to autocomplete and showed the
two options. Here are the contents of each directory:

root at prod:~# ls /usr/lib/ncarg/data
asc  bin  cdf  grb  hdf  nug  shp
root at prod:~# ls /usr/lib/ncarg/database/
Earth..1.areas  Earth..2.lines  Earth..4.areas  EzmapAreaInfo.CO
EzmapAreaInfo.US  EzmapOutlines.PO  NhlMapData    ranfdata  rgb.txt
Earth..1.lines  Earth..3.areas  Earth..4.lines  EzmapAreaInfo.PO
ezmapdata         EzmapOutlines.PS  PlotcharData  rgb.dir
Earth..2.areas  Earth..3.lines  ezmap_area_ids  EzmapAreaInfo.PS
EzmapOutlines.CO  EzmapOutlines.US  pwritdata     rgb.pag

cfanprod at prod:~$ echo $NCARG_ROOT
/usr
cfanprod at prod:~$ which ncl
/usr/bin/ncl
cfanprod at prod:~$ ncl -V
6.4.0
cfanprod at prod:~$ env | grep NCARG
NCARG_ROOT=/usr

I am running this on another machine since I removed the Ubuntu
ncl-ncarg from prod2 to try and build 6.5.0 from source code.

The problem is present on both machines, prod and prod2. I am able to
run maponly_3.ncl on both, but not other files.

cfanprod at prod:~/ncl-test$ ls
gsun03n.ncl  maponly_10.ncl  maponly_3.ncl  maponly_9.ncl  maponly.png
cfanprod at prod:~/ncl-test$ ncl maponly_3.ncl
Copyright (C) 1995-2017 - All Rights Reserved
NCAR Command Language Version 6.4.0
The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.

The above worked and generated: maponly.png

cfanprod at prod:~/ncl-test$ ncl maponly_9.ncl
Copyright (C) 1995-2017 - All Rights Reserved
NCAR Command Language Version 6.4.0
The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
fatal:MapV41DHInitialize: dynamic memory allocation error:[errno=12]
fatal:MapV41DHInitialize: error initializing map outline records
ERROR    2 IN MPLNRI/MDLNRI - Can't open the ".names" file
ERROR    1 IN MPSETR - UNCLEARED PRIOR ERROR
ERROR    1 IN MAPPOS - UNCLEARED PRIOR ERROR
ERROR    1 IN MAPSTI - UNCLEARED PRIOR ERROR
ERROR    1 IN MAPROJ - UNCLEARED PRIOR ERROR
ERROR    2 IN MAPSET/MDPSET - UNCLEARED PRIOR ERROR
fatal:MapSetTrans: error initializing map: MAPINT - UNCLEARED PRIOR ERROR
fatal:(null): Error setting transformation
fatal:MapPlotSetValues: error managing TickMarks
warning:["SetValues.c":474]:SetValuesChild never occurred on
map.PlotManager: Error in mapPlotClass
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
cfanprod at prod:~/ncl-test$ ncl maponly_10.ncl
[...]
warning:tiMainString is not a valid resource in map at this time
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Anything else I can try?

Diego