[ncl-install] Problem runing ncl on Ubuntu 18.04

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Dec 12 08:46:22 MST 2018

Hi Diego,

I'm guessing there's something wrong with your environment . The
information you provided looks mostly correct, but this part confuses me:

cfanprod at prod2:~$ ls /usr/lib/ncarg/data
data/     database/
cfanprod at prod2:~$ ls /$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/database/

The /usr/lib/ncarg/data directory should NOT have "data" and "database" in
it. It should have these directories:

asc/ bin/ cdf/ grb/ hdf/ nug/ shp/

The listing of $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/database looks correct but I'm
wondering if you have multiple NCARG_XXXX environment variables set that
are incorrect?

Can you type the following and email all of the output back to
ncl-install at ucar.edu:

which ncl
ncl -V
env | grep NCARG

If the "env" command shows any environment variables called NCARG_NCARG or
NCARG_LIB, then this is probably the source of your problem.  The only
environment that really should be required is NCARG_ROOT.

--Mary