[ncl-install] Fwd: HDF5 to NETCDF conversion

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 15 14:32:23 MDT 2015

(2292)THX for sending the file.
--------------------------------
NCL 6.3.0 and the unreleased 6.3.1

I think the problem is that one of the dimensions has an illegal character.

%> ncl_filedump   3DIMG_01OCT2013_0700_L2B_SST.h5

[snip]
   dimensions:
      DIM_000 = 1
      time = 1
      Latitude = 2816
      Longitude = 2805
      ^A = 2816                 <==========  illegal
      DIM_005 = 0
      DIM_006 = 0
   variables:
      integer GeoX ( Longitude )
         CLASS :        DIMENSION_SCALE
         REFERENCE_LIST :       <ARRAY of 0 elements>

      integer GeoY ( ^A )
         CLASS :        DIMENSION_SCALE
         REFERENCE_LIST :       <ARRAY of 0 elements>

      short Latitude ( ^A, Longitude )
         DIMENSION_LIST :       <ARRAY of 0 elements>
         _FillValue :   32767
         add_offset :    0
         long_name :    latitudeN_SCALE
         scale_factor : 0.01
         standard_name :        latitudeN_SCALE
         units :        degrees_northLE

      short Longitude ( ^A, Longitude )
         DIMENSION_LIST :       <ARRAY of 0 elements>
         _FillValue :   32767
         add_offset :    0
         long_name :    longitudeorthLE
         scale_factor : 0.01
         standard_name :        longitudeorthLE
         units :        degrees_easthLE

      float SST ( time, ^A, Longitude )
         DIMENSION_LIST :       <ARRAY of 0 elements>
         _FillValue :   -999
         coordinates :  time Latitude Longitude
         long_name :    Sea Surface Temperature
         standard_name :        Sea Surface Temperature
         units :        Kea Surface Temperature

I don't necessarily think this is an NCL issue. netCDF does not
recognize certain characters.

However, I have opened a JIRA ticket (2292). A core NCL developer is
going to look at this.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:45 AM, Nanda Kishore Reddy
<nandu.eng at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear NCL-users
>
>              I am very much new to NCL and I just want to convert hdf5 file
> to netcdf file. I have tried the following command but it's showing an
> error.
>              Can anybody help me how to convert this hdf file.  Any
> solutions for this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>

>  xxxx at xxxx:$ ncl
>  Copyright (C) 1995-2013 - All Rights Reserved
>  University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
>  NCAR Command Language Version 6.1.2
>  The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
>  See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
> ncl 0> ncl_convert2nc 3DIMG_01OCT2013_0700_L2B_SST.h5
> fatal:syntax error: line 0 before or near 3d
> ncl_convert2nc 3d
> ----------------^
>
> fatal:error in statement
>

> With Kind Regards
> Nanda Kishore reddy. B
> Senior Research Fellow
> Ocean Observation Systems
> NIOT

      DIM_005 = 0
      DIM_006 = 0

      integer GeoY ( ^A )
         CLASS :        DIMENSION_SCALE
         REFERENCE_LIST :       <ARRAY of 0 elements>
[snip]
      short Latitude ( ^A, Longitude )
         DIMENSION_LIST :       <ARRAY of 0 elements>
         _FillValue :   32767
         add_offset :    0
         long_name :    latitudeN_SCALE
         scale_factor : 0.01
         standard_name :        latitudeN_SCALE
         units :        degrees_northLE

      short Longitude ( ^A, Longitude )
[snip]

6.3.0 and the unreleased 6.3.1

ncl_filedump

have problems.

This is largely because the file you sent has characters not
recognized by netCDF / NCL