CEDAR email: Workshop announcement: 2021 solar eclipses

Shun-Rong Zhang shunrong at mit.edu
Wed Jun 9 10:21:46 MDT 2021

Dear CEDAR community

It is with great pleasure to remind the community that there will be an annular solar eclipse in the Arctic region on June 10, 2021 (approximately between 08-13UT), less than 24 hours from now. What is exciting in this year is the opportunity to observe another polar eclipse in summer on Dec 4, 2021 (in this case, austral summer). These two events will provide rare opportunities for the community to study geospace responses to the polar eclipses in a comparative sense.

This CEDAR session will address science questions related to how the upper atmosphere system responds to the rapid reduction and recovery of solar irradiation during solar eclipses. Previous studies show that the transient solar irradiation variations during eclipses lead to changes in not only ionospheric photochemistry but also the energetics and dynamics in the upper atmosphere, all of which are fundamental CEDAR themes. Of particular interest to this session is the polar eclipse influence on the magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere coupling system. We invite the community members to report new progress in understanding geospace disturbances during solar eclipse events at high latitudes. We are most interested in short presentations with initial results for the June 10 eclipse observations and simulations. We welcome also discussions on coordinated observational and modeling efforts for the December 4, 2021 Antarctic eclipse.

Our session will be on Thursday (June 24) between 13-15 MDT (15-17 EDT); more information will be posted at http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2021_Workshop:2021_Eclipses

Convenors:
Shunrong Zhang
Wenbin Wang