CEDAR email: Workshop announcement: Remembering Stan Sazykin: New Results in Subauroral Science

Shun-Rong Zhang shunrong at mit.edu
Tue Jun 8 13:13:20 MDT 2021

Dear CEDAR Community,

We are cordially inviting you to participate in our session titled “Remembering Stan Sazykin: New Results in Subauroral Science” of the CEDAR 2021 workshop. (http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2021_Workshop:New_Results_In_Subauroral_Science). This session will take place between 1-3 pm (Mountain Time) on Friday, 25 June 2021.

The session is dedicated to our colleague and friend, the late Stan Sazykin who was a major force in subauroral science. We aim to advance community understanding of subauroral science by featuring new analysis of ground-based and in situ observations, recent discoveries enabled by modeling and/or other technical improvements, as well as updated status quo of unresolved questions.

This session will consist of  invited talks to review important new and unresolved subauroral questions to help guide subsequent discussions, and highlight Stan’s scientific contributions in our research area. We also seek short presentations (1-2 slides only; brief discussion) that emphasize the latest advances to facilitate effective group discussion.

The solicited topics include but are not limited to:

1.   New perspective connecting subauroral dynamics/electrodynamics to other aspects of M-I-T coupling processes, such as SED-related dynamics, neutral wind and composition changes, traveling atmosphere and ionosphere disturbances, penetration electric fields / disturbance dynamos, etc.

2.   Recent technical advances in modeling and/or machine learning efforts, to elucidate subauroral dynamic feedback mechanisms and the relative importance of various forcing terms.

3.   New findings on the phenomenon of STEVE/SAID and causal relationships.

4.   New insights on the drivers of inner magnetospheric convection during storm times and quiet times.

Please consider contributing by sending a title and 1-2 sentence description to Phil Erickson (pje at mit.edu<mailto:pje at mit.edu>) and Bashi Ferdousi (banafsheh.ferdousi at unh.edu<mailto:banafsheh.ferdousi at unh.edu>) before June 18th.

We look forward to seeing you at the CEDAR 2021 workshop.

Shunrong, on behalf of the convenors
Phil Erickson
Shunrong Zhang
Ercha Aa