CEDAR email: Announcement: 9th SCOSTEP/PRESTO online Seminar by Dr. Richard Eastes

D Pallam Raju raju at prl.res.in
Fri Aug 20 03:07:59 MDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Greetings !!

We are pleased to announce the 9th SCOSTEP/PRESTO online seminar by Dr.
Richard Eastes.

Seminar Title: Space Weather in the Thermosphere-Ionosphere System -
observations and Insights from the GOLD* Mission (*Global-scale
Observations of the Limb and Disk)

Speaker: Dr. Richard Eastes

Affiliation: Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics, University of
Colorado Boulder, USA

Date/time: September 23, 2021; 14:00-15:00 UT  via Zoom

To join the seminar, please register using the zoom URL given below
(pre-registration is necessary):
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_JLX19FwoSRypK_H_2aeYSg

Abstract:

The GOLD mission’s spatial-temporal observations of thermospheric
composition, density, and temperature, as well as of ionospheric
structure and peak density at low-latitudes, provide an unprecedented
window into space weather in the Thermosphere-Ionosphere (T-I) system.
Imaging the Earth from geostationary orbit at 47.5°W longitude, the GOLD
imager provides simultaneous images of thermospheric composition (O/N_2
) and temperature near 160 km on the dayside every 30 minutes from 06:10
to 23:10 UT (03:00-20:00 local time at the satellite). In addition GOLD
images the nighttime equatorial ionization anomaly (EIA) over the
Atlantic and South America every evening. Observations of geomagnetic
storms, solar eclipses, the nighttime EIA and O_2 density profiles have
all provided unanticipated results. Examples include observations of
“gravity” waves and global-scale responses to weak geomagnetic activity
in the sunlit thermosphere; and in the nighttime EIA, correlations
between peak densities and waves in the mesosphere. These observations
provide tests of our current understanding of both the T-I system and
how it interacts with other regions of the geospace system. The GOLD
mission observations and some of the implications for space-weather will
be discussed.

- Duggirala Pallamraju

(On behalf of Pillar-2 of PRESTO & SCOSTEP leadership)

--
*Prof. D. Pallamraju *
Senior Professor and Dean, PRL