CEDAR email: AGU Session SA009 - Drivers and prediction of variability in Earth’s ionosphere and thermosphere

Thomas J. Immel immel at ssl.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 13 10:34:17 MDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,
 I would like to bring to your attention to the Fall AGU session SA009 -  Drivers and prediction of variability in Earth’s ionosphere and thermosphere: New Observations from Missions - and invite contributions that highlight the latest results and discoveries from the expanding set of scientific observatories focused on Geospace. The session description is attached here.
Conditions in the near-Earth space environment are observed to be remarkably variable. The number of potential sources of forcing is large, extending from the troposphere and middle atmosphere to high latitude auroral and magnetospheric regions. Quantifying the sources of variability, and how they combine and couple in the ITM system, is a goal of several new observational campaigns: ICON, GOLD, SWARM, and COSMIC-2. These missions in combination with extant assets including TIMED, upstream solar-wind monitors, and a growing network of ground-based sensors provide an unprecedented capability for research efforts that are revealing a host of new system-level behaviors. This session will present first light and recent discoveries from these mission, and related advances made possible by a range of computational models and new machine-learning approaches. These crucial activities promise to advance the field of space environment prediction.
We will be working with AGU’s new virtual conference mode, and look forward to a stimulating mix of oral and poster presentations in this new format. I think we all realize after the 2020 CEDAR meeting that virtual conferences present some interesting benefits and opportunities. The AGU meeting remains on 7-11 December, 2020, and abstracts are due on July 29 by 11:59 Eastern US Time.
 Link to abstract submission page:
 https://www.agu.org/Fall-Meeting/2020/Present/Abstracts/
 Direct link to SA009 abstract submission:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm20/sa/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=105784
 Thank you in advance for contributing to a successful and productive session at AGU!
SA009 Conveners
Thomas Immel, University of California, Berkeley
Katelynn Greer, University of Colorado at Boulder
Ruth Lieberman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Larry Paxton, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Thomas Immel
Space Sciences Laboratory
University of California, Berkeley
7 Gauss Way