CEDAR email: AGU Session: Refilling of the Plasmasphere: Theory vs Observations

mdenton mdenton at spacescience.org
Tue Jul 7 16:27:58 MDT 2015

*CALL FOR ABSTRACTS*

We welcome submissions to our special session on "Refilling of the
Plasmasphere: Theory vs Observations" (SM025) to be held at the Fall AGU
meeting.  The session abstract is given below.

We look forward to seeing you in San Francisco!

Kind regards,

Mick Denton (SSI/NMC)
Dennis Gallagher (NASA-MSFC)

2015 AGU Fall Meeting, 14-18 December 2015
*SM025: Refilling of the Plasmasphere: Theory vs Observations*
Conveners: Michael H. Denton (SSI/NMC) Dennis L. Gallagher (NASA/MSFC)

Session Description:

A general physical description of plasmaspheric erosion and refilling
has been steadily outlined over the past fifty years.  Plasma in the
outer plasmasphere is eroded during enhanced convection, and following a
return to calm geomagnetic conditions, the plasmasphere refills from the
ionosphere.  However, there remains something of a disconnect between
observations and theoretical calculations.  In situ measurements of the
rate of plasmaspheric refilling tend to be much higher than predictions
of the refilling rate from theoretical models.  Wave-particle heating
and scattering near the magnetic equator and ionospheric heating from
energetic particle precipitation have not been fully accounted for in
the past.  Composition changes during refilling have also not been
adequately examined.  In order to address this dilemma we solicit
observations of plasmaspheric refilling during individual events,
statistical measurements of the plasmaspheric refilling rate, and
particularly theoretical investigations of the processes that control
refilling of the plasmasphere.

Abstract submission can be made at:

   http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2015/

Michael H. Denton