CEDAR email: (Fall AGU Session) The March 17, 2015 superstorm

Shunrong Zhang shunrong at haystack.mit.edu
Tue Jul 7 15:49:32 MDT 2015

Dear Colleagues

We are organizing a 2015 Fall AGU session on the March 17 ,2015 superstorm. We welcome contributions addressing the magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere storm effects,  with emphasis on the ionosphere/thermosphere responses and their interplanetary and atmosphere drivers. The detailed session information  is given below. Please contact us for additional information.

SA010: Geospace disturbances during recent solar storms

Session ID#: 8275
Session Description:
Great geomagnetic storms starting on March 17, 2015 provide yet another wonderful opportunity for improving the understanding of strong disturbances within magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere system. These storms are caused by a joint effect of the arriving Coronal Mass Ejection clouds as well as coronal-hole high-speed streams, and are characterized with a long (12-hour) and intense (-18 nT) southward interplanetary magnetic field, high Kp (8-), and low Dst (minimum -223 nT). The storm on the March 17 has been the largest during the current solar cycle.  This session is dedicated to the study of these March events, with emphasis on the ionosphere/thermosphere responses and their interplanetary and atmosphere drivers. We invite contributions based on observation, simulation and assimilation  to address the general characteristics of these geo-space disturbances and inherent physical and chemical processes. To put these storm effects into proper context, we also invite papers dealing with other recent storms.
Primary Convener:
Shunrong Zhang, MIT Haystack Observatory, Westford, MA, United States
Conveners:
Yongliang Zhang, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, United States,
Wenbin Wang, High Altitude Observatory, Boulder, CO, United States and
Xinan Yue, UCAR, Boulder, CO, United States

Cross-Listed:
SM - SPA-Magnetospheric Physics