CEDAR email: AGU Session SA018: Winds, Currents and Electric Fields at Mid/Low Latitudes below 200 km

Pfaff, Robert F. (GSFC-6740) robert.f.pfaff at nasa.gov
Tue Jul 7 12:51:49 MDT 2015

Dear all,

We are seeking contributions to the Fall AGU special session on Neutral Winds, Currents, and Electric Fields at Mid and Low Latitudes below 200 km.

This is session SA018, as described below.  See:  http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2015

We hope you will consider submitting a paper to this session.  Abstracts are due 5th August.

Best wishes,

Rob Pfaff, Takumi Abe, Miguel Larsen, and Scott England

SA018. Neutral Winds, Currents, and Electric Fields at Low and Mid latitudes below 200 km  --  A critical review of our knowledge and understanding<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/preliminaryview.cgi/Session8886>

Session Description:
Ever since the earliest measurements of the low/mid-latitude ionosphere, researchers have sought to understand the motions of the upper atmosphere and how they influence the generation of electric fields and currents.  This session invites a fresh look at this basic ion-neutral coupling below 200 km.  One focus is the daytime dynamo and its related electrodynamics.  Whereas it is generally accepted that tides account for the forcing through which Sq currents are set up, new rocket measurements in the daytime ionosphere of simultaneous winds, currents, and electric fields shed new light on this global phenomenon and its variability.  Further, advances in modeling, increased ground magnetometers, and expected observations from NASA’s ICON mission, suggest future research will advance our understanding of the low/mid-latitude electrodynamics by a large degree.  This session sets the stage for a critical evaluation of what we know and don’t know about low/mid-latitude winds and associated electrodynamics.
Conveners:  Rob Pfaff, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD, United StatesTakumi Abe, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, Kanagawa, Japan,
Miguel Larsen, Clemson University, Clemson, SC, United States Scott England, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, United States

Dr. Robert F. Pfaff, Jr.
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Mail Code 674.0
Greenbelt, MD 20771  USA