CEDAR email: Post for CEDAR - SCOSTEP Visiting Scholar (SVS) Program

Maura Hagan hagan at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 13 12:08:24 MDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

The Scientific Committee on Solar-Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP) announces
the establishment of a new capacity building activity, the SCOSTEP Visiting
Scholar (SVS) program. In the paragraphs below we describe our vision for
SVS and solicit your help in the identification of institutional partners
for the SVS program implementation plan.

As you may know, SCOSTEP is an interdisciplinary body of the International
Council for Science, which strives to bring together different scientific
disciplines to address scientific issues of international relevance. The
SVS program will complement the current scientific program and public
outreach activities of SCOSTEP.

The objective of the SVS program is to provide training to young scientists
and graduate students from developing countries in well-established solar
terrestrial physics laboratories, for periods of between one and three
months. Our aim is to fund four scholars each year, one related to each of
the four SCOSTEP VarSITI themes (http://www.varsiti.org/). The training
will help the young scientists to advance their career in solar terrestrial
physics using the technique/skill they learned during the training. SCOSTEP
will provide the airfare, while it is expected that the hosting lab will
provide the living expenses (lodging, meals, ground transportation, visa
fees and other incidentals). Trainees should have their own health
insurance or arrange a provision with the host
lab.

We envision that the SVS process will operate in conjunction with existing
visiting scientist schemes with similar aims, whether organized by
individual laboratories or other programs. For the first call therefore, we
wish to identify existing schemes that would be willing to partner with SVS
in this capacity building effort. Please contact the SCOSTEP Scientific
Secretary Marianna Shepherd (mshepher at yorku.ca) to register your
institution and/or program as an SVS partner.

We look forward to hearing from you, and to your engagement in this
capacity building enterprise.

The SCOSTEP SVS committee: M. Grande (chair), M. Hagan, N. Vilmer, A.
Yoshikawa, B. Rabiu, J.-P.Raulin.

Prof. Manuel Grande
Aberystwyth University
Penglais, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3BZ,
Wales, UK.
Phone: (44)1970 622624, Fax: (44)1970 622826, Mobile: (44) 7881 858945
Email M.Grande at aber.ac.uk

Maura Hagan
hagan at ucar.edu
+1-303-497-1537