CEDAR email: Call for papers on Energetic particle precipitation for a session at IAGA 2013

Craig Rodger crodger at physics.otago.ac.nz
Mon Mar 18 08:29:11 MDT 2013

Notification of session J10 (Energetic particle precipitation into the
atmosphere: sources and consequences) which is part of the upcoming IAGA
scientific assembly to be held in Merida, on the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico.
Please consider presenting work at our session.

The J10 session has been scheduled to run on the afternoon of Friday 30 August
and all-day Saturday 31 August 2013. The session description is: Particle
precipitation into the atmosphere is one of the mechanisms for energetic
electron loss from the Van Allen radiation belts. This is particularly
significant during and after geomagnetic storms, when the loss rate, and the
source population, can both increase. This session is targeted at both
ground-based and satellite experimental observations, as well as theoretical
investigations, into the precipitation of energetic electrons (>20 keV) into
the D-region ionosphere and below. Papers considering the precipitation
drivers, the nature of the particle fluxes, or the impact of the precipitation
on the ionosphere or atmosphere are welcome. We particularly welcome early
results from RBSP, showing energetic electron loss examples and processes and
how it can be applied by the atmospheric community.

The important conference deadlines are:
* March 31, 2013. Grant application deadline --> abstract submission
required!!!
* April 13, 2013. Abstract submission deadline.
* April 30, 2013. Decision about grants.
* May 31, 2013. Reduced rate registration.

There is also a another radiation belt session earlier in the IAGA assembly
(Wave and particle dynamics in the radiation belts and ring current) which is
clearly very relevant to our joint-science area.

We believe that the IAGA meeting in Mexico has a strong range of relevant
sessions and should be an excellent meeting. For further information on this
meeting, please look at the website: http://www.iaga2013.org.mx/

We hope you can join us and present your work at our session!

On behalf of the session organisers:
Craig J. Rodger; Department of Physics, University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin
9016, New Zealand; email: crodger at physics.otago.ac.nz

Mark Clilverd, British Antarctic Survey, Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 0ET, UK;
tel: +44-1223-221541; fax: +44-1223-362616; e-mail:macl at bas.ac.uk

Marianne Daae, Department of Physics, Norwegian University of Science and
Technology Hoegskoleringen 5. NO-7491 Trondheim Norway; email:
marianne.daae at ntnu.no

Assoc Prof Craig J. Rodger
Department of Physics			Phone: +64 3 479 4120
University of Otago                     Fax:  +64 3 479 0964
PO Box 56, Dunedin 9016
NEW ZEALAND