[ncl-talk] [Non-DoD Source] Re: ncl_filedump error

Dylan White jdwhite5 at ncsu.edu
Wed Oct 10 13:03:45 MDT 2018

Kevin,

I am one of the other cases Rick mentioned.  I too am using Ubuntu 18.04,
and removing csh but leaving tcsh did indeed fix my issues as well.  Thanks
for letting us know you figured it out!  I know Ubuntu 18.04 will probably
soon be used by many NCL users, so this is great to know.

Regards,
Dylan

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 2:29 PM HAVENER, KEVIN F GS-12 USAF ACC 14 WS/WXED <
kevin.havener at us.af.mil> wrote:

> Installing tcsh solved the problem.  Mostly I use ncl on a Red Hat system,
> so I guess tcsh must be installed by default there.  If I “sudo apt-get
> install csh” I get a BSD variant of csh, which caused the core dump.
>

> I forgot to check before trying to install tcsh, but apt-get reported it
> as a NEW package (6.2.00-7) and updated the alternatives to use /bin/tcsh
> for /bin/csh. And I did a “which csh” which reported no csh.  I had already
> removed the bsd-csh (or csh-bsd) that core dumped.
>

> This particular machine has been upgraded several times on Ubuntu’s 6
> monthly release cycle, so they must have dropped tcsh since the last
> long-term release (16.04?) at least.  I don’t think I’ve used the conda
> version before on this machine., only the   Maybe the conda recipe needs to
> check for the presence of csh/tcsh?
>

> Kevin

*J. Dylan White*
Ph.D. Student, Atmospheric Sciences