[ncl-talk] [Non-DoD Source] Re: ncl_filedump error

HAVENER, KEVIN F GS-12 USAF ACC 14 WS/WXED kevin.havener at us.af.mil
Wed Oct 10 12:29:31 MDT 2018

Installing tcsh solved the problem.  Mostly I use ncl on a Red Hat system, so I guess tcsh must be installed by default there.  If I “sudo apt-get install csh” I get a BSD variant of csh, which caused the core dump.

I forgot to check before trying to install tcsh, but apt-get reported it as a NEW package (6.2.00-7) and updated the alternatives to use /bin/tcsh for /bin/csh. And I did a “which csh” which reported no csh.  I had already removed the bsd-csh (or csh-bsd) that core dumped.

This particular machine has been upgraded several times on Ubuntu’s 6 monthly release cycle, so they must have dropped tcsh since the last long-term release (16.04?) at least.  I don’t think I’ve used the conda version before on this machine., only the   Maybe the conda recipe needs to check for the presence of csh/tcsh?

Kevin