[ncl-talk] eofunc_ts

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 3 11:45:09 MDT 2018

Umm, your semantics are confusing (to me).

"find" ==> reconstruct?

[1]
Generally, geophysical  based EOFs are quite "red" in nature. Most 'power'
(variance) is in the lowest few modes. For sure, 5 or fewer.

[2]
Further, *each* EOF should be significantly ("distinctly")  separated from
the surrounding EOFs to be used for reconstruction of 'significant'
patterns. See:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/eofunc_north.shtml

If, say, your data show 2 or 3 distinct EOFs then the 27/28  other EOFs
that you calculated are  artifacts of sampling.

[3]
NOTE : *statistical-significance" is independent of "physical-significance"
. One  does not imply the other.
You should sum using *only* the contributions of the significant EOFs.