[ncl-talk] Question about the built-in function trop_wmo

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 20 18:25:07 MDT 2017

Source variable:  air(time, level, lat, lon)

Then you do

tf   = addfile(dir + "air.mon.mean.nc", "r")
temp = tf->air
temp = temp + 273.15                               ; units conversion (from
degC to K)
ta   = dim_avg_n_Wrap(temp, 0)               ; compute climatology

===
Thie climatology is calculated over all months and year yielding

  ta(level,lat,lon)

===

I have *not* run the script or looked at the source  fortran code for the
'trop_wmo' function.

The temporal averaging over all years and months has smeared out the
vertical profiles at each grid point.

I *speculate* that the 'vertical change criterion' used by the function to
detect the tropopause has been 'smoothed away'.

You might try a single year month for testing. Keep in mind that the
monthly averages are also averages.

Good luck