[ncl-talk] Question about the built-in function trop_wmo

王娜 wangna at mail.iap.ac.cn
Wed Sep 20 08:15:18 MDT 2017

Hi all,

I am trying to calculate the tropopause pressure with the built-in function trop_wmo, but got some abnormal values (equal to 85 hPa or -999 hPa) when using the monthly temperature from NCEP/NCAR reanalysis 1 (17 levels between 1000 hPa and 10 hPa).  It seems like that this problem is related to the vertical resolution of the input temperature. If I use the ERA-interim reanalysis data (32 levels between 1000 hPa and 10 hPa), the abnormal values are non-existent.  Does the function trop_wmo not apply to the renanlysis data with coarse resolution? Any help on how to fix this problem?

Attached are my ncl script and input data.

Thanks

Wang Na