[ncl-talk] saving high resolution plots for publications

Barry Lynn barry.h.lynn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 04:03:06 MDT 2017

Hello:

The higher resolution should improve the pixelization of any map you look
at with a very high magnification.

However, lines on the map become thinner because they are plotted per
pixel. So, you need to thicken them.

Barry

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Sri Nandini <snandini at marum.de> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Using NCL, i tried the 2 methods for saving my figures as png for
> publications.
> 1)The default method   wks =  gsn_open_wks("png", "my figure")
>
> And trying to save as 600dpi/optimal resolution
> 2)  wks_type = "png"
>    wks_type at wkWidth   =  2500
>    wks_type at wkHeight  =  2500
> wks =  gsn_open_wks("png", "my figure")
>
> Surprisingly the method 1) yields better sharper resolution figure then
> method 2).
> Could someone explain why?
>
> Method 3) convert -density 300 (or 600) inputfile.png outfile.png yielded
> no difference when performed on output of method 1).

Barry H. Lynn, Ph.D
Senior Lecturer,
The Institute of the Earth Science,
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem,