[ncl-talk] saving high resolution plots for publications

Sri Nandini snandini at marum.de
Fri Jul 7 02:51:38 MDT 2017

Hello

Using NCL, i tried the 2 methods for saving my figures as png for publications.
1)The default method   wks =  gsn_open_wks("png", "my figure")

And trying to save as 600dpi/optimal resolution
2)  wks_type = "png"
   wks_type at wkWidth   =  2500
   wks_type at wkHeight  =  2500
wks =  gsn_open_wks("png", "my figure")

Surprisingly the method 1) yields better sharper resolution figure then method 2).
Could someone explain why?

Method 3) convert -density 300 (or 600) inputfile.png outfile.png yielded no difference when performed on output of method 1).