[ncl-talk] saving high resolution plots for publications

Guido Cioni guidocioni at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 04:17:41 MDT 2017

I’m going to stop you right there. :)

If you’re goal is to produce figures for publications then vector formats like PDF or EPS are preferable (and supported by NCL). They will scale perfectly regardless of a single-column/double-column layout and won’t pixelate. In fact, images that contain lines/points/shapes and combination of the latter ones should always be reproduced in vector format.

You can use a raster format (PNG, JPEG) only if the image/data you’re publishing is already on raster format (e.g. photos taken with cameras, satellite pictures…).

Note that sometimes a PNG with a decent resolution for publication will be larger than a PDF with the same image. Please (!!) don’t use PNG for publications as long as they are not strictly necessary :) :)

Cheers