[ncl-talk] Question on the "ESMF_regrid" when the longitude of source and destination grids is in different order?

林祥 xianglin72 at icloud.com
Mon Jan 23 00:49:08 MST 2017

Hi,all

         I am regriding some NSIDC sic data (http://nsidc.org/data/g02202.html <http://nsidc.org/data/g02202.html>, downloaded from ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/pub/DATASETS/NOAA/G02202_v2 <ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/pub/DATASETS/NOAA/G02202_v2>).

The source data is curvilinear grids with 2-d longitude coordinate array ranging  between -180E~180E, and the destination grids is HadISST 2.2 (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadisst2/ <http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadisst2/>)

which is rectilinear grids ranging from 0E to 360E.

         I try to use the original longitude of source grids with the following :

   fi     = addfile(data_path + data_filename,"r")
   lon    = fi->longitude
   lat    = fi->latitude

   y at lat2d  = lat
   y at lon2d  = lon

    or reset the longitudes  to 0~360E using the following lines:

  lon      = where(lon.lt.0,lon+360,lon)     ; -180 ~ 180 longitude order
  lon at units= "degrees_east"

But I got the same result and the regridded data contain missing values outside the range of -90W~90E.Please see the attached plot file

I don’t know where the problem come from.  And I also found no instruction on the NCL webpages explaining the similar case when the curvilinear

grids share different longitude ranges with the destinate grids.  So anyone can show me a hand?

The script file, source data file , contour plot files with original data and regridded data have been attached.

Thanks!

Lin